Happy hour at my house is always 3 o’clock. Now finally in late June the weather is finally starting to get warmer and the drinks colder. This recipe was inspired by Jamie Oliver’s Drinks Tube. It is light, bubbly and refreshing. The perfect drink for any summer time happy hour.
Yields: 2 drinks
- 1 Lime
- Fresh mint leaves
- Tea towel filled with two cups ice
- 1 Teaspoon sugar
- Ginger Ale
- Cut the ends of the lime and discard (or save if you like fancy garnishes). With the remaining lime cut into quarters and divide in half between two glasses
- Place approximately 7 mint leaves into each glass
- With the bottom of a wooden spoon, press the lime and mint leaves 8 good times (careful not to mortal them, it could make the lime bitter and the mint too minty)
- With your tea towel of ice, hit that sucker against the side of the counter. It is the perfect way to get out aggression before your much needed drink. The ice should become snow-cone like texture.
- Put one shot of your favorite vodka into each glass
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to each glass
- Top off with ginger ale and the crushed ice
- Using a spoon gently fold the drink to combine all the happiness
To garnish you can add more mint leaves on top and strips of the lime peel from the ends cut off. I think these drinks look and taste best in a mason jar and enjoyed outside on a hot day. Cheers!